We appreciate the outdoors and understand your desire to plant new trees when the weather permits. Before you plant, make sure you consider the lifespan of the plant and its proximity to power lines and equipment. Consider the following:
- Height. Ensure the tree top will remain more than 10 feet from a power line, even when it’s fully grown.
- Canopy Spread. Ensure the extended branches will remain more than 10 feet from the power line, even when it’s fully grown.
- Growth Rate. A slow-growing species is typically stronger and lives longer than fast-growing species.
- Form or Shape. A columnar tree grows in less space. Round or V-shaped trees provide more shade.
- What’s Underground. If you want to plant a tree, make sure you don’t run into an underground lines. Call 811 at least 48 hours before you begin any digging project.